Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Catch Up on the Classics - Aldiko Reader

I love reading, and so I was overjoyed when I discovered that there was an Ebook reader on the Android market. Although the Aldiko Book Reader is available on the Android Market in both a free and paid version, there is no difference between the two, the premium version is just a donate version. If you have the yearnings that I do to read a book while anywhere, then this is definitely an application that you will want to check out.

Catalogs

FeedBooks

This is a catalog of books that are either in the public domain, or are written by independent authors. This is the catalog that I have downloaded most of my books from, for the simple reason that I love Sherlock Holmes, and all of the books starring him are on FeedBooks. The books by independent authors range from completely original works to fan fiction, and the quality ranges from poor to excellent. It's definitely worth the time it takes to read the first few pages to find out.


Smashwords

Smashwords is a catalog for independent authors to market their work on. On here you will find hundreds of titles by independent authors who are looking for a chance to make it big. Like the independent works on FeedBooks, the quality varies, but there is usually a preview so that you can check it out first.

All Romance Books

This catalog is exactly what it says it is. All Romance Books has romance books in every conceivable area of interest that you can think of. I personally stay out of this catalog, but it may be something that you're into. If so, check it out. There are some free books available on here as well, so my fellow broke readers can still enjoy some reading.

O'Reilly Ebooks

If you are of a technical bend, then you will find this catalog to be a Godsend. O'Reilly creates tech books for a wide range of devices, OS's, and software. If your trying to figure out how to do something involving pretty much anything, and you want a manual, this is the place to look for it. For all of the mod fans out there, they also have back issues of Make magazine, one of the greatest DIY and mod magazines out there!

With access to such libraries, and the ability to customize font size, font color, and page turning style, Aldiko Book Reader is a great application. Since you can carry hundreds of book around in your pocket, and start reading any of them at the exact point that you left off, this app is great for reading a little bit any time that you've got a few minutes. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

whyrocha said...

OK, that does it, no doubt I'm going Android. I've been thinking about buying me a reader, but if I can do it all on my phone...great. Now just figureing out which Android phone fits me best. :)