Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Swiss Army Android

I am always trying to find new ways to increase the usefulness of my Android. I know that it is basically a digital Swiss Army Knife already, but it could always be more useful. In light of this, I spend an awful lot of time searching the Internet and the the Android Market for new applications to help me with my mission. Here are some of my new favorites!

CallTrack

I hate scrolling through my call list to find someone that has called me the week before, or to try to figure out how long I talked on the phone during a particular day. This simple application solves all of those problems for me. What it does is sync all of your phone calls with you Google Calender, and you will then be able to see who called you on what day, and how long that you spoke to them. The only possible negative is that, if you share your calender with someone, as I do with my wife, they will also see your call log. This is not a problem for me, but you may want to consider it before you download the application.


FX Camera

How many of you use the camera on your Android? The most that I can say about the system camera is that it works. The sharing functions are there, and they are very nice, but sometimes you want a picture that has a little bit of character to it, and is a little more fun than just a standard picture. The FX camera has several fun modes to shoot in such as the Warhol, or the Toy Camera, and has the color filters that you can apply to a normal shot.

DoubleTwist

DoubleTwist is not an application for your Android, but is instead available to be downloaded to your computer. What is does is sync music, playlists, and other media to your Android device. The desktop also has a podcast search function, and is integrated with the Amazon music store so that you can buy music there if you would like. I find it to be extremely useful for downloading my Car Talk podcasts, and getting my music on my phone. Check it out! Also, please note that DoubleTwist supports hundreds of devices, including all sorts of phones and the PSP.

Bump

How many of you meet new people fairly often? Do you have to contact them later? If so, then you may find this application to be useful. Bump is a way to trade your contact information with someone. All you have to do is open up the application, select what information you would like to transfer, and then, while the other person has Bump open and ready as well, bump your hands together. The great thing about this app is that it works across platforms, and so you will be able to transfer contacts with iPhone owners as well as Android owners.

If you get a chance, try all of these applications out. I think that you will find that they are all great choices for increasing the usefulness of your Android. Please let me know what you think about them.

No comments: