Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DoubleTwist - Sync Your Android

This post is part of a series of articles that expand on a list of suggested applications that I suggested recently. Check out the main article while your here!

I love music. There is just no getting around it. I love to listen to music while I am out on foot, while I am at home, and while I am in my vehicle. When I was a child, if you wanted to listen to music, you had to listen to the radio, cassette tapes, or, though they were rare by that time, vinyl records. The means of delivering media to the masses have, of course, evolved. These days we can carry hundreds of songs around with us on various devices such as MP3 players, and, yes, our Android phones.

Have you used the Amazon music store function on your phone? I have, and, especially with a Wi-Fi connection, it works well enough, but what about all of those MP3s that you've already downloaded to your computer? How are you going to get those on your phone?

Well, you could just connect your device to your computer and drag the files over manually, but I think that the best means of getting music and other media on your device is to download doubleTwist. DoubleTwist is available here for download, and is free to anyone.

Once you have downloaded doubleTwist, you will need to place your device in the correct mode. What you will need to do is connect your device to your computer using the USB connector that you recieved with your phone. Once you have done this, you will notice a USB symbol in your phones notification area. Drag down the Notification menu, and select the "USB Connected" notification. You will then be able to choose to mount your microSD card.

Once you have mounted your microSD card, doubleTwist will automatically pull up a screen that will allow you to select what sorts of media to sync to your device. For music, videos, and pictures you will have to create a playlist, and then sync the playlist with your phone. There is also a section titled Subscriptions which will allow you to sync podcasts with your device, and doubleTwist has a built in podcast subscription element to allow you to find your favorite pods.

If you get to this point, and you find that you do not have any media that you actually need to sync to your device, now may be a good time to get some more and doubleTwist accomplishes this task very well.

DoubleTwist has a very good integration with the Amazon Music Store, where you will be able to purchase all of the songs and albums that your little heart desires. DoubleTwist also has a good podcast search function so that you can find all of the podcast that you may need. I myself have a subscription to NPR's Car Talk and This American Life, as well as the Daily App Show - Android phones.

So, if you find that you need a smooth interface between your desktop computer and your Android device, give doubleTwist a shot. I use it myself, and I make good use of this desktop application. Let me know what you think!

No comments: